Since there is no true fountain of youth, miracle pill or youth cream, staying healthy, fit and active are the keys to aging gracefully. In fact, many illnesses, disabilities and deaths associated with chronic illnesses are avoidable through preventative measures. This means you should establish a healthy lifestyle at an early age and stick with it as your celebrate each passing year. As your Florida insurance agent, we know that Florida residents have great opportunities to stay active as well as unique challenges to maintaining those lifestyles.
Healthy Aging Recommendations
- Eat a balanced diet, low in saturated fat and containing five or more servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Good nutrition reduces the risk of illnesses such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes and osteoporosis.
- Engage in a regular exercise routine most days of the week. This will reduce your risk of dying from heart disease and decrease your chance of developing colon cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure. Physical fitness also contributes to:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Healthy bones, muscles and joints
- Reducing anxiety and depression symptoms
- Relieving arthritis pain
By age 75, one in three men and one in two women will not engage in any physical activity. By not exercising, they are losing muscle mass and are increasing their risk of developing chronic diseases including diabetes and heart conditions.
However, there is no time like the present, even at a gold age, to start a fitness routine such as taking a walk, lifting light weights or taking a water aerobics class. As a Florida insurance agent, we’ve seen many clients substitute walking the golf course instead of using the cart as a great way to incorporate exercise in an already set routine. Even parking your car in the back of a parking lot, instead of the first spot, is another super easy way to get exercise into your day.
Put It Out
Trumping a sedentary lifestyle and eating a poor diet, smoking is the leading cause of preventable death and disease in the United States. In fact, tobacco increases your risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke significantly compared to those individuals that do not light up.
Your physiological makeup is not the only thing that plays a role in your ability to age gracefully. A healthy, positive attitude can go a long way in extending your life and making it more enjoyable. Joining a social club is a great way to inject fun in an otherwise normal routine.
- Maintain good social connections and stay engaged with your peers.
- Try to have positive self-esteem.
- View life as a meaningful journey.
We’re here to help with all your life matters. Contact us today at (727) 544-8841 and let us know how we can assist you.
This information is not intended to be exhaustive nor should any discussion or opinions be construed as professional advice. Should you have any questions or would like to discuss your Florida insurance needs, please contact the insurance pros at ARCW Insurance. We are here to help.